7.6.09

The blog that has to be about an outing...

So this week we went on two group outings.  I was overhwelmed by the first week of classes and totally forgot to do a solo walking tour...whoops, sorry Madame Clay!  At least I'm honest.  But I'll do one next week, I promise!

Back to the group outings...as a group we visited the Cluny Museum of the Moyen Ages and the Louvre/Palais Royale with Christina.  I for one really really adore the Middle Ages for some strange reason, so I liked the Cluny Museum!  I really liked all of the religious artwork, like the stained glass and golden triptychs.  Everyone in the Middle Ages was soooo religous and everything in life was about religion and the church.  My favorite part, though, was definitely the Medieval jewelry!  It is so pretty and I would definitely wear (most of) it!  It is hard to believe that they were able to make such intricate jewelry by hand, with no machines or anything that we have today.

The Louvre is massive.  Walking around the entire compound with Christina was exhausting, but really cool!  She just knows everything about Parisian history!  I especially enjoyed her little tidbits on Napoleon and Louis XIV.  Learning history out of a book can be so dry, but Christina gave the French rulers personalities, which makes it much more interesting.  I always forget that historical figures were actually real people, too.

5 comments:

Susan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Susan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Susan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
SC said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed Cluny! Don't forget to tie in culture/history - think about how what we see might connect to your reading, or our culture discussions - what is it like to live among things like the Louvre or Cluny as a Parisian? how would that change your life?

SC said...

oops - I got interrupted when I read the first time - my bad - nice tie in of culture/historical placement towards the end - merci/salut!