7.6.09

I went to London.

As the title of this post indicates, I went to London for the weekend avec mes amies Sylvia, Alice, et Jordan.  It was really interesting being in an English-speaking country after spending 2 weeks in France.  Not that I don't speak English here, but it was just bizarre not seeing/hearing French anywhere for an entire 48 hours!  I have to admit, it was a little refreshing, but nothing can compare to Paris for me!

I found that the English were a bit more friendly than the Parisians, but maybe that is just because I can actually communicate with the English...haha!  The cashiers in the grocery store chatted with me, and one girl asked if I were in London "on holiday"!  We stayed in a hostel named the Generator.  Let me tell you, it was an experience.  There was a bar inside, if that tells you anything.  The hostel was fun, but we didn't meet any actual British people.  Instead we met some Canadians, a couple of guys from Colorado, and an old French guy named Julien who was in love with Sylvia.  I was a little sad that we didn't befriend any English people, but we had a lot of fun!

Even though I though the English were a little more outgoing and friendly, I definitely prefer Paris over London.  Paris is way more beautiful.  The areas of London we visited seemed a little dirty and very American-ized.  Why would I want to eat at KFC or T.G.I. Fridays while I'm in Europe?!?!  I can get that anywhere at home!  Maybe it's just becauase we hit the toursity areas, but London was not my favorite. Leaving Paris made me realize that it really is one of the best cities in the world and that I am so fortunate to be able to call Paris home for 5 weeks of my life.  Paris just has a certain je ne sais quoi.  Maybe it's all of the people making out all of the time.  Or maybe it's not knowing what anyone is saying.  Ever.  Or maybe it's the silent metro rides, even though there are 85 people packed in to the car.  Maybe it's even the lack of restrooms...or maybe not.

2 comments:

Susan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
SC said...

Ellen B - toi aussi tu as un certain je ne sais quoi - very cool post - and of course I love it that you prefer Paris despite the dearth of potties. We're all quite lucky to call this home for 5 weeks - yay!!!