14.6.09

Busy Week!

The group has been so busy this week, but we got to see a lot of really cool Parisian sights!  On Wednesday we went to the Louvre.  It was MASSIVE!  It was really overwhelming, but I went with Sylvia and we saw sculptures, Italian paintings, and French paintings (I think...).  I have studied art history, so it was fun to see some of the art we studied in real life!  

On Thursday we went to the Rodin museum.  Rodin is my favorite sculptor, so I was so happy!  Firstly, the museum is absolutely gorgeous!  I loved the huge, open French windows and the spectacular gardens.  It was one of the most beautiful places I have ever had the pleasure of visiting!  Secondly, I loved seeing all of Rodin's work.  I find Rodin's scuplture to be very beautiful and I love all of the smooth lines and curves and how the figures just flow in to one another.

I am still recuperating from Saturday's visit to Versaille.  It was very grand and really out of control!  I loved the architecture and symmetry of the chateau, but the inside was a little crazy for my taste!  I definitely preferred Marie Antoinette's domain to the actual chateau.  I loved her little play village and the style of her Petit Trianon.  Like Christina said, it is such a major contrast to the symmetry and formality of Versaille.  

Today we visited the Centre Pompidou.  I am still not quite sure how I feel about it...haha!  I loved all the the modern paintings on the fifth floor and I really liked the exhibition on Kandinsky.  But the things on the 4th floor really freaked me out!  

No comments: